SOULY HIS

Souly His is where my heart is. It is about me, and my journey to discover where He wants me to be. Here I will share devotions that touch me, ideas that inspire me, studies that enlighten me, and everything else between here and there...where ever there is. I hope you enjoy the journey with me.



Monday, July 9, 2012

My Journey Through John

Over the summer we, as a church, are taking a journey through the gospel of John. I thought I'd get back to blogging by sharing some of my thoughts as I read through.

“How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God?” ~ John 5:44(nasb)

If I receive nothing in return for doing good, as far as here on earth, would I still be willing to do it? My personality craves acceptance and I am happiest when I am able to make others happy, but what if I didn’t receive acceptance or gratitude? Would I still feel whole and complete and loved and content? If it were only me and God, what then? I, of course, will answer yes to all of my questions, but have I ever really been tested in this area? At a certain point in my marriage, my husband spoke the words, “Don’t look to me for your happiness!” which, while they stung at the time, have had such an impact on me and my walk with God. Although my husband makes me incredibly happy, I must admit this was not always the case. At least until I stopped looking to him for it. Unfortunately, I sometimes still get hung up on what he’s not doing for me, instead of focusing on all the good he adds to my life.

Isn’t that the way we can be with God? “Lord, you know I really wanted that job?” Or “God, if I could just pass this test, or buy this car, or get this raise.” What will all of this get us, a closer walk with God? Statistically the opposite is true. It is when we are in the pit of despair that we cling to Him with all that we have and we grow closer in a way we wouldn’t have known without the trip into the pit.

My challenge is to keep seeking Him, with everything I have, in all ways, in all days. I must be willing to walk away from the main stream and live a life acceptable and pleasing to God. Even when I may not see the blessing, or the glory, to know that it’s not earthly acceptance I’m looking for, but His acceptance and His alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment